Notable Cities and Communities of the Lan Na Kingdom
The shape of Wiang Ched Rin is that of a ring,
about 900 meters in diameter. It is situated on the
foothills between the two streams of Huay Kaeo
and Huay Chang Khian, north-west of Chiang Mai.
Moats and primary and secondary earthen walls
surround the city. From what we can now see from
their partial appearance, the walls appear to zigzag.
|Aerial photo of Wiang Ched Rin
According to Chiang Mai chronicles, Prince
Yi Kumkam, with the assistance of Sukhothai
forces, led his troops to attack Chiang Mai, but was
defeated. The Sukhothai troops, led by Phra Chao
Sai Luthai, retreated and were stationed at the
foothills of Doi Ched Rin. There Phra Chao Sai
Luthai bathed at Doi Phalad Luang, and changed
his mind about fighting, and led his troops back to
Sukhothai. With the streams as a symbol, King Sam
Fangkaen built a city in 1402 named Wiang Ched
Rin, which means that the city has seven natural
water sources to bring the water from Huay Kaeo
stream to provide water for the residents.
Wiang Ched Rin is mentioned three times in Lan Na history. The first time was when
Prince Lok led his troops to seize Chiang Mai from his father, King Sam Fangkaen in 1409.
The second mention is in the reign of Queen Chiraprabha in 1545 – 1546 when Phya Borom
Trai Chak of Ayudhya led his troops to Chiang Mai and took a bath at Ched Rin. The third
time the city is mentioned is during the reign of Prince Kawila in 1294 when a ceremony was
performed to expel misfortune for Prince Maha Buddhavamsa Bhumipala at Ched Rin.
Presently, the area of the city of Wiang Ched Rin is now occupied by the Huay Kaeo
Arboretum, the Thai-Danish Dairy Farm, and the Rajamangala Institute of Technology,
Chiang Mai University campus, in the sub-district of Suthep, the district of the city of
Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai province. A road cuts through the ancient city to the monastery of
Phra That Doi Suthep.